Friday 19 July 2013

Trench Coat Time

 Say hi to Sara and Molly today. (Sara is the redhead, she's Molly's little sister. Molly looks creepy, yes I know. I love watching people's reactions to her, especially my profs..) They keep me company when I'm sewing, they don't talk much, but they listen very well.


I can say that I just finished, as in completed, as in it is done, one project today. CHEERS! I fixed my boyfriend's trenchcoat, and I thought I should fix mine too, while I was at it. Two trenches instead of one, what a good deal.

This is his trench, it's beige and purple, he chose the fabrics himself. Beige and purple.. That rings a bell.. Oh yea! The Lord of the Rings scarf. He chose the colours for that one too. He's soooooooo unpredictable when it comes to choosing colours...




The second picture is the sketch I made of what it should look like once finished. During the construction, I decided to abandon the belt, it would have looked too much like a robe in my opinion. I made the trench coat over two days in December (I think it was December), and it's been on a hanger ever since, waiting to be shortened. It was three inches too long. So I finally took my seam ripper to it. Here it is, all opened up in the bottom.

And here it is again, with nifty mitered corners. (The picture only shows one, but they are all that nifty. It's true, it's true.) Beyond shortening it, I still needed to put buttonholes in the sleeves, and buttons, and that took no time at all. I was procrastinating on the bottom because I thought it would be harder/take longer. Oh well, now it's done.




That is my own trench coat. In a moment of carelessness, last year, during the summer, I left it on the back of a chair, dangerously close to the cage of my pet rats. A few hours later, I found it pulled through the bars of the cage, with one sleeve nibbled, ripped, eaten and destroyed. Bad ratties! Nah, cure ratties, they're so cute when they nibble stuff... Off topic. Just the one sleeve was damaged, so I decided to make a new one. Once again, armed with my seam ripper, I took out the sleeve, separated the pieces and the lining, and traced it on paper.



I'll spare you the details of the sewing process. I liked the ribbon that I put on the ripped sleeve to conceal it last Fall, so I attached more ribbon, in a completely random way. And BAM! new sleeve, with green lining on the inside, not that the picture shows it.


And here, result of the new sleeve sewn in. :)


I like sewing a lot, that's probably why I'm a seamstress. At least that's my guess. That's my new favourite treasure in the whole entire world. My boyfriend bought me this sewing machine as a welcome back present from the summer class I took in Europe. Even Molly loves it, she's chilling next to it. It's her favourite too.


Haha. TRENCH COAT: DONE!!
Time left until September: 6 weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment