Thursday 25 July 2013

So Many Posters!

I'm a student, on a student budget. My apartment has beige walls. That's boring! Let's make it better!
I already have an impressive collection of posters, most of which are actually rolled up and stored in my closet, but some have found a place on my walls.

As for any respectable student, my posters are stuck to the walls with that blue sticky paste that lease a grease stain where it makes contact with the poster itself. I grew tired of those stains, and of the posters snaking down the walls, slowing, oh ever so slowly. I was trying to find a way to frame them for cheap, and most of what I found was too much of a hassle. I'm lazy, stinkfaul, actually, which is one of my favourite German words to describe myself. I always say it with a smile. Ich bin stinkfaul, und stolz darauf. ;)

I came up with my own way of framing/backing posters. It looks better, cleaner, and classier (or more classy. The comparative form of classy looks funny to me for some reason). It is super easy to do, and takes no time at all.

Material needed:
- Posters in need of some oomph
- Black cardboard (I got my at the dollarstore)
- Straight ruler (I'm using my drafting square ruler)
- Pencil (and eraser if needed)
- Exacto knife
- Hot glue gone and sticks
- Large working surface (living room floor, for example)

All of this is very easy, I promise. The black cardboard acts both as a backer for the poster, so that it is sturdier, and the excess that shows around the edges acts as the frame. I stone two birds.

I marked the width of the frame at the corners, and put a tiny-little-minuscule dot  where the corners of the poster need to rest. Then I glue them in place. I only burned myself a few times, yay!


Then I cut off the excess black cardboard by using my ruler as a straight edge. I made sure I had a protective layer of newspaper between my knife and the floor.

 Repeat for all posters, and tadammmmm! I used clear thumb tacks to put them back up on the walls. It's really not that bad. And better than that awful blue sticky stuff.

In my kitchen I keep two small posters, they are very important. They remind me where my beverages are.


I always need to be reminded how important coffee is when I set my mind on doing something stupid. And of course, I need to be reminded to keep calm, the wine is right there, along with my mum's canned spaghetti sauce. :)

In my living room, I have the most posters. On one wall I have a print of a painting by Egon Schiele, and another from Alphonse Mucha (yes, I'm absolutely obsessed with his work.)
On another wall, it's mostly a random assortment of things I like. Game of Thrones, Doctor Who, French Cats, more Mucha.. I'm thinking about adding my telephone booth poster between the door and the dalek, when I bring myself to tear it down from the wall in my room, and removing that pesky blue stuff that's stuck to it.
                               
I seem to have a thing for southparking myself whenever I can. I think I would be an interesting character to appear on that show :p. But then, anyone would make for an interesting character.

There! I like the way my wall looks like right now! (I know, Einstein hasn't been framed, but that's because even perched on my highest chair, I can't reach the top of it to take it down...) I really like how the colours work they're way from blue and black, to beige, to red from left to right. It was unplanned, and I like it.


Framing posters: Done! (for now. I'll be adding more posters for sure later, maybe after the next poster sale at the uni.)


No comments:

Post a Comment