Saturday 28 December 2013

During the Holidays

I'm very fortunate indeed, to have a whole three weeks off for the holidays. For the last few years, I was only able to come to my hometown for a few days, then I had to go right back to Halifax for work.
Luckily, as my different little jobs are with the university this year, they ended when class ended, and will resume when classes do.

I don't recall the last time that I had three weeks of nothingness in front of me. Was it when I was still a teenager? I think so.

Anyhow, so far I've kept myself more or less busy. Definitely not at the infernal pace that I keep during school, but I'm not just sitting in the living room, though I will admit that I really like my spot on the couch.

What is there to do in Canada in Winter? Well, here are some suggestions:

1. Playing Monopoly, and not just any Monopoly. The Canadian edition, in French.
    

2. Building an insulation layer on my body for the upcoming months. Sounds gross, but I haven't stopped eating since getting here. It'll eventually get used up once I go back to Halifax and don't have time to eat.

3. Pulling out the Winter gear and going to the Ski Station for a day. First time in about five years, I did surprisingly well.

4. Thoroughly enjoying my time off. Even if it's just day-dreaming, watching the Food Network, or that series called Ancient Aliens.

5. Hanging out with my siblings. It's the first time in three years that the four of us are home at the same time.  
6. Napping on the couch. By myself, or with Stella.
                                             

7. Unwrapping Christmas presents.



8. Listening to all sorts of music. Mum likes to listen to Christmas music on the radio, and my brother recommended the new Stromae album. My sister listens to terrible things, but then she's 16...

9. Decorating the fridge.

10. Helping out with the Christmas baking. That includes preparing, baking, plating, and eating. These are two huge plates of sweets. And the containers behind them? Still half full. 

11. Enjoying the company of extended family. Playing chess, battleship and chase the puppy with them. The girl in pink is the only cousin my age. She studies in Alaska, so for the Holidays she came south... To Canada and norther Maine. Ha!



12. Catching up with friends that I haven't seen in a long time.

13. Knitting.

14. Mum decided to give Christmas dinner this year, we had twenty-something people in the house. Thank God, that's only about half of my mum's side of the family...

15. Following Christmas dinner, we have a lot of turkey leftovers. Guess who'll be eating turkey leftover in every meal for a few days? Turkey soup, turkey à la King, turkey sandwich...

16. Saying goodbye to this year's tree. After being in the house for over three weeks, it's really dry and shedding pine needles every time you look at it. We removed all of the ornaments, and put it outside on the front porch. We still have a plethora of Christmas ornaments around the house though. It's my mum's favourite time of the year.









17. Sitting by the window and watching the snow falling. It's been a fairytale holiday season so far, a truly white Christmas. It's been snowing almost every day, and we've had a few snow storms in the last two weeks.

18. Reading books, doing research for school. Can't be completely on vacation...



19. Running errands by, uhm, tad-bit chilly temperatures. Solution to fight the early morning cold? A second pair of socks.


20. Finishing a really cute rag doll.

21. Making a pillow from a piece of a quilt, and making a fluffy hair-bow. Yes fluffy!


No comments:

Post a Comment